Is Painting Gutters a Good Idea?
Most homeowners would not give much thought about gutters until they start to cause problems. Clogged gutters can lead to water damage to your home’s roof and walls, so it’s important to keep them clean and well maintained. One way of maintaining them is by applying a new coat of paint. Painting your gutters can make them look nicer and keep them from rusting.
However, if you don’t do it correctly, you could end up with paint chips and moisture buildup in your gutters, which could cause damage to your roof. It is a good idea to paint your gutters so long as you know the best type of paint for your gutter type.
How To Paint Gutters?
Most high-quality guttering would not need any repainting for years, such as Colorbond guttering
, but many choose to paint their gutters for maintenance or a new look. If you’re thinking about painting your gutters, it’s important you choose the right paint and sealant, if your gutters are in good condition and you want to paint them yourself, make sure you clean them thoroughly before you get started.
- Gutter Paint
- Paintbrush, roller, and tray
- Paint Primer
- Eye Protection
- Dust Mask
Step 1: Preparation
- Before you begin painting, be sure to wear proper safety gear. This includes goggles and gloves to avoid any paint getting in your eyes or on your hands.
- Be sure that there are no children or animals in the area when you are working because it can be dangerous for them.
- The first step is to prepare the gutter for painting. If the gutter is dirty or has any loose paint, it must be cleaned and primed before painting.
- Clean off any dirt or debris, then apply a coat of primer to the surface.
Step 2: Painting
- Once the primer is dry, it’s time to start painting. Begin by brushing on a thin coat of paint to the entire length of the gutter.
- Selecting the right paint is key to having an attractive finished product that reflects well on your home. You want quality paint that will resist fading and peeling in the sun and rain.
- When you start painting, always start at the top of the gutter and work your way down. This will make it easier to get a smooth finish with less strokes on the brush.
- It’s also best to paint the guttering in sections, this means you should paint one row, let it dry before moving onto the next row. Make sure you have enough coverage on your brush when painting
- Use a roller and brush to apply paint to the entire length of the gutter system. Be sure to get into all of the nooks and crannies for an even coating of paint. Keep it thin, you can always go back and add another coat of paint if needed.
Step 3: Cleanup
- Once you are finished painting, clean up any spills or messes with soap and water. If the paint does not come off easily on surfaces not meant to be painted, use a chemical paint stripper to remove it.
- Paint residue can be hazardous to your health, so always wear eye protection and a dust mask when using such chemicals.
What Kind of Paint Do You Use on Gutters?
The kind of paint you use on gutters will depend on the material that the gutters are made from. For aluminum gutters or for steel gutters a primer and paint designed for metal should be used. For vinyl or plastic gutters, a primer and paint designed for those materials should be used.
Most people use latex paint on gutters because it is durable, easy to clean and affordable. However, some homeowners may choose to use a higher-quality paint such as oil-based paint, in order to extend the life of their gutters.
Best Exterior Paint For Gutters
If you are looking for the best exterior paint to protect your gutters, then we recommend using a product that contains elastomeric waterproofing. Elastomeric coatings are known for their durability and resistance to cracking, chipping, and peeling. They also form a tough, flexible film that can stretch without breaking. This makes it very resilient to weathering and the sun’s UV rays.
Because of its elastic properties, elastomeric paint is ideal for coating surfaces that are exposed to high levels of stress, such as your gutters. It won’t crack or peel while at the same time preventing leaks.
More FAQ’s On Gutter Painting
Do you need to prime aluminum gutters before painting?
Yes, you will need to prime aluminum gutters before painting them. Priming the gutters will help the paint adhere better, and it will also help to protect the gutters from rust.
There are a number of different primers that can be used on various kind of gutters, so be sure to choose one that is specifically designed for your specific guttering material.
Can I paint my plastic guttering?
Yes, you can paint your plastic guttering; however, you should use a primer and paint designed specifically for plastic.