Polished concrete floors are a popular choice for flooring in both residential and commercial buildings. Polished concrete has a distinctive look that is very durable and easy to clean. It requires little maintenance and lasts for decades.
What is the Average Cost of Polished Concrete Floors?
The average cost of a polished concrete floor is $55 to $110 per square meter. The cost for an entire project can start from $2500, depending on location, size, and other factors the price may vary.
Concrete Polishing Cost Per Square Metre
- Grind and seal can cost around $ 55 per square metre
- Honed concrete can cost around $ 75 per square metre
- Fully polished, hardened and grouted will cost around $ 100 per square metre
Factors Affecting Pricing for Polished Concrete
- Location is important because it will determine the cost of your raw materials and the distance it will need to be transported to your job site.
- Room Size will also have an effect on the cost of your concrete floor. A larger area will need more cement thus will cost more.
- Condition of the floor determines whether the surface is ready for a concrete pour or not, if not it only means extra work which will cost you more.
- Polishing type used, whether you choose grind and seal, honing and mechanical polishing all of those polishing comes at different prices.
- Design of the concrete, this refer to the pattern and colour of the concrete that you want to incorporate in your project.
How Is Concrete Polished?
There are three methods that can be used to give concrete a polished or “shiny” appearance.
- Grind and seal is a process that involves using coarse abrasive diamond grinding blades that contains abrasive particles. It is typically used to restore worn-out or damaged concrete floors and to prepare them for painting or another finish.
- Honed concrete is similar to grind and seal. It is a process that involves dragging a wheeled, diamond-bladed grinding device across a concrete floor. As the wheel rolls across the floor, it scrapes the surface of the floor making it smooth. This creates a textured or “honed” finish. The more passes with less abrasive blades make the concrete smoother.
- Fully polished concrete is the most expensive process, a type of flooring that is extremely hard and durable. It uses a hardener to harden the concrete before sealing and many passes with the grinder, It will usually include a grout to patch any areas that need it,
Is Polished Concrete Better Than Floor Tiles?
Polished concrete flooring is a durable and attractive alternative to traditional ceramic tile flooring. It is available in many colors and designs and is easy to maintain. Although tiles are less expensive and can be a good choice in your project they are less durable in the long run compared to concrete polished flooring.
It can be used for both interior and exterior applications. It is also easier to clean than tile. Cleaning polished concrete requires only a simple rinse with water and soap, whereas cleaning tile requires the use of harsh chemicals and a power washer.